Wednesday, 22 August 2012

The survey

First of I decided that it would be a sensible thing to have a survey done as I know nothing about these boats and what goes wrong with them.

So the brokers gave me a number for a surveyor, that turned out to only do power boats.

Google to the rescue, the next surveyor local to the boatyard was away sailing and will give me a call when he gets back.

So looking through the list it turns out that there is a surveyor that live about a mile away from me, I like the sound of that. After a not so quick call we arrange for bank holiday monday. Seems like a nice chap and pretty knowledgeable, and prefers to have the client with him so he can explain what he is looking at and what he makes of the boat.

Then I get a call in the evening, plans changed so the survey could be done the next day. Bonus. I get a day off work playing on boats.

For some reason I don't sleep well and am awake at 6:00 in the morning, oh well, I've gotta be at the boat yard by 9:00 in the morning anyway.

So I meet meet John from http://www.northstarmarinesurveyors.co.uk/ at the boat and he gets started. I soon get to understand that not only is this going to be a boat survey but also a days lesson on what to look for on a boat, and where to look for it, what it's made from, where it should be, what condition it is in, what condition it should be in and what it would look like if it wasn't in the right condition.

So we start underneath the boat, with a Osmosis and moisture check, followed by scraping the prop to find out what size and model it is.

Then up to the deck where we check the chain, cockpit, winches, rigging (static and running) stancions,  and state of everything the can possibly be touched.

Then down below we go for an engine check. Turns out the boat has no battery, so that along with a water feed is arranged, and the the engine gets started up, it fires up nice and quickly but doesn't draw any water through, not a good sign, corrosion of impeller or blokage.

Then John becomes an engine doctor and brings out some stethoscope like tool and seems to be listening for weird noises in the engine. Nothing untoward other than the cooling found.

Moving through the boat we find and check the tanks, bilges, sea cocks,  and every locker possible.

Next seems to be the general interior and electronics, but the battery has disappeard with the engineer from the boatyard, so we can't check any electronics.

Next up, out come the sails, and back up to deck to check more sails, and the gas.

I'm sure there was a lot more, that John checked and looked at explaining it all on the way round even to giving me a potted history of GRP in the marine trade, and a science lesson in anodes and corrosion, and types of damage a boat could sustain.

Heading of to the bar for some soft drinks, cos it was a wee bit warm, John gave me a good overview of the condition of the boat and the major work that would need to undertaken.

So if you are looking for a plain speaking down to earth and extremely knowledgeable Surveyor and Marine engineer, I can't recommend John enough.

Looking forward to receiving the survey.






No comments:

Post a Comment